Dr. Gautam Das
+(974) 4454 1225
I have been impressed by the vision and growth potential of a world-class research institute in this part of the world.
Research Focus at QCRI
Gautam’s research interests span data mining, information retrieval, databases, algorithms and computational geometry. He is currently interested in ranking, top-k query processing, and sampling problems in databases, as well as data management problems in the deep web, social networks, blogs and web communities.
Gautam is a Professor at the University of Texas at Arlington, and have also held positions Microsoft Research, Compaq Corporation and the University of Memphis.
- University of Texas at Arlington, Professor, 2004 – present
- Microsoft Research, Researcher, 1999-2004
- Compaq Corporation, 1998-1999
- University of Memphis, Associate Professor, 1990-1998
Professional Associations and Awards
- IEEE ICDE Influential Paper Award, 2012
- VLDB Best Papers Special Issue 2007
- ECML-PKDD Best Paper, 2006
- ACM SIGKDD Best Paper Runner Up, 1998
- Ph.D in Computer Science University of Wisconsin, 1990
- B.Tech in Computer Science, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, 1983
- Davide Mottin, Alice Marascu, Senjuti Basu Roy, Gautam Das, Themis Palpanas, Yannis Velegrakis: A Probabilistic Optimization Framework for the Empty-Answer Problem. Full paper, VLDB 2014.
- Mingyang Zhang, Nan Zhang, Gautam Das: Mining a Search Engine's Corpus Without a Query Pool, full paper, CIKM 2013
- Mahashweta Das, Vagelis Hristidis, Gautam Das: Generating Informative Snippet to Maximize Item Visibility, short paper, CIKM 2013
- Senjuti Basu Roy, Ioanna Lykourentzou, Saravanan Thirumuruganathan, Sihem Amer-Yahia and Gautam Das:Crowds, not Drones: Modeling Human Factors in Interactive Crowdsourcing, DBCrowd2013 to be held in conjunction with VLDB 2013.
- Nan Zhang, Saravanan Thirumuruganathan, Gautam Das: Rank Discovery From Web Databases. In Proc. of VLDB 2014 (to appear)
- Nan Zhang, Chengkai Li, Naeemul Hassan, Sundaresan Rajasekaran, Gautam Das: On Skyline Groups. In IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), 2013.
- Saravanan Thirumuruganathan, Nan Zhang, Gautam Das: Breaking the Top-k Barrier of Hidden Web Databases. In Proc. of ICDE 2013.
- Zhuojie Zhou, Nan Zhang, Zhiguo Gong, Gautam Das: Faster Random Walks By Rewiring Online Social Networks On-The-Fly. In Proc. of ICDE 2013.
- Mahashweta Das (UTA), Saravanan Thirumuruganathan (UTA), Sihem Amer-Yahia (QCRI), Gautam Das (QCRI and UTA) and Cong Yu (Google), “Who Tags What? An Analysis Framework”, Full paper, at VLDB 2012, Istanbul.
- Saravanan Thirumuruganathan (UTA), Mahashweta Das (UTA), Shrikant Desai (UTA), Sihem Amer-Yahia (QCRI), Gautam Das (QCRI and UTA) and Cong Yu (Google), “MapRat: Meaningful Explanation, Interactive Exploration and Geographic Visualization of Collaborative Ratings”. Demo paper at VLDB 2012, Istanbul.
- Mingyang Zhang (George Wash. U), Nan Zhang(George Wash. U), and Gautam Das (QCRI and UTA), “Aggregate Suppression for Enterprise Search Engines”, Full paper, in Proc. of ACM SIGMOD 2012, Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Alexandra Stefan (UTA), Vassilis Athitsos (UTA), and Gautam Das (QCRI and UTA), “The Move-Split-Merge Metric for Time Series. To appear in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), 2012.
- Chengkai Li (UTA), Nan Zhang (George Wash. U), Naeemul Hassan (UTA), S. Rajasekaran (George Wash. U), Gautam Das (QCRI and UTA), “On Skyline Groups”, CIKM 2012, Maui, Hawaii.